Of all the things I’ve lost throughout my life, I miss my mind the most. This well known phrase is funny because most people feel that way at some point. Being forgetful can be anything from a mild annoyance to very frustrating, but it is a problem that can be corrected. There are many methods we can use to help improve our memory skills and playing games is a simple and fun way to do it. There are countless games both on and off line we can use to boost our brain power. Here are just 10 memory games to help keep your mind sharp.
- Simon – This electronic memory game is a pop culture icon from the 1980’s. Simon uses a sequence of colored lights and tones that players need to remember and repeat to advance in the game. Now available online, Simon has helped generations of players improve their memory skills while having fun at the same time.
- Jigsaw Puzzles – Any kind of puzzle will help improve your memory and keep your mind sharp. Jigsaw puzzles give your mind a real workout while you search for specific shapes and colors that fit. Aha! This is where that piece goes!
- Sudoku – Popularized in Japan, this number puzzle is now an international sensation. Fitting the numbers 1 to 9 into the proper squares uses the logic part of the brain which helps keep your mind sharp.
- Crossword – These word puzzles really challenge your memory skills. People who regularly do crossword puzzles exercise their brains as they try to remember words and names described in the clues.
- Matching pairs – This simple game can be played in several ways. You can play matching pairs online or with a deck of cards. You’re only allowed to turn over 2 cards at a time and need to remember where they are when you find a match.
- Memory Matrix – Challenge your brain be remembering patterns that get bigger and more complex as you play Memory Matrix. You can find this game free online to tease your mind and improve your memory capacity.
- Name Tag – If you have trouble remembering names and faces, this online game can really help you out. The Name Tag game matches faces to name tags and then shuffles them for you to sort out.
- Sequence – Sharpen your ability to remember phone numbers with Sequence. This online game has you recall numbers in the correct sequence in order for you to advance to the next level.
- Cocktails – Although moderate amounts of alcohol can improve your memory, too much has the opposite effect. Cocktails isn’t a drinking game as the name suggests, but has you memorize and recall some delicious drink recipes.
- Trivial Pursuit – This board game can really challenge your memory skills and is fun for players of all ages. Trivial Pursuit is a board game that asks questions on a variety of topics including pop culture to give your brain a real workout.
Using memory games can make exercising your brain simple and fun. You can start at the beginner level and work your way up at your own pace. Before you know it, your memory skills are vastly improved without even breaking a sweat. There’s nothing like repetition to get those brain cells firing and your memory muscle pumping. With so many to choose from you’re sure to find a memory game you can enjoy and keep your mind sharp as a tack.