In the world of fashion, there are some things that never go out of style. For every little black dress, however, there are a slew of cutting edge accessories that seem to pop up on the runways for a year, or even just a season, dominating the industry before fading back into relative obscurity. Fashion Week hunters have already fingered the must-have items for 2013, some of which may surprise you.
- Transparent Bags and Bangles – Models on Dior, Stella McCartney and Michael Kors runways have been showcasing see-through detailing on shoes and transparent clutches. Trend-spotters are predicting transparent accessories as a major player throughout 2013. Designers are playing with colored transparent vinyl handbags as well as glassy, clear plastics for clutches.
- Botanical Baubles – Think big, ornate and floral for 2013 jewelry. Oscar de la Renta, Gucci and Badgley Mischka are just a few of the major names that featured prominent statement pieces with a floral motif. The bigger your blooms the better for spring, in materials from colorful resin to heavy metals with jewel-tone accents.
- Stackable Jewelry – One bracelet or one ring won’t be enough for spring 2013 looks, as most designers are adopting a stackable, more-is-more approach. Multiple thin rings on every finger and mounds of bangles are the name of the game this year.
- Clutches – The clutch seems to enjoy a brief resurgence more often than other accessories, seldom staying out of style for long. Clutches are back in a big way for 2013, and come in a rainbow of colors and a shocking array of materials. From the faux perfume atomizers by Lanvin to Marchesa’s beaded confections, stowing your stuff in tiny bags will be de rigeuer this year.
- Fringe – It seems that everything is bedecked in fringe for 2013, from dramatic statement necklaces to high-end Alberta Feretti evening clutches. Nina Ricci and Versace offerings for 2013 are bedecked in fringe, so keep an eye out for fringed details to start showing up more in mainstream fashion soon.
- Trendy Totes – Between the clutch and the tote, shoulder straps are all but out for this year. Valentino, Emporio Armani, Reed Krakoff, BCBGMAXAZRIA and Roberto Cavalli bags are featuring short handles, while high-contrast offerings from Marc Jacobs and Chanel make major waves for the 2013 spring season.
- Blocky Heels – Wedges are being edged out by chunky, blocky heels and platforms for 2013, as shown on Louis Vuitton, Proenza Schouler and Balenciaga runways. The classic stiletto isn’t completely out, but stacked heels are definitely the shoe trend for 2013.
- Statement Glasses – Sunglasses and eyeglass frames alike are moving in a decidedly dramatic direction, with retro frames in cat-eye shapes and large, showy sunglasses showing up everywhere. Mirrored lenses, odd shapes and oversized eyewear inspired by safety goggles will be hot for 2013.
- Wrap Watches – Pairing the somewhat retro charm of an analog watch face with the utilitarian feel of leather cuff bracelets, wrap watches are the next big thing in jewelry for this year. Paired with plenty of bangles, a wrap watch makes an excellent base for the stacked-accessory trend that’s gaining ground.
- Ethnic-Inspired Jewelry – From the more affordable Eastern-inspired offerings from jewelry designer Amrita Singh to high-end Gypsy fare from Dolce & Gabbana, ethnic-inspired pieces are all over the place for 2013. Bohemian styles are still going strong, overlapping into Southwestern American, African and Asian-inspired baubles for the year.
While the haute couture of Fashion Week is completely out of the average fashionista’s budget, there are still great runway-inspired pieces making their way into more affordable lines. Keep your eyes peeled for pieces influenced by high fashion without the exorbitant price tags. Pairing your up-to-the-minute accessories with timeless staple clothing you already have in your closet can also bring you to the cutting-edge of fashion without breaking the bank, so it’s always wise to invest in some core items that are immune to shifts in trends.